May 12, 2016
Over 73,000 Contracts Awarded worth more than $12 Billion
Source: APTAC, May 12, 2016
Across the country, Procurement Technical Assistance Centers (PTACs) are helping small businesses win government contracts. According to the Association of Procurement Technical Assistance Centers, companies working with PTACs were awarded more than 73,000 government contracts worth $12 billion in the most recent reporting year; 88% of these awards were to small businesses.
Three hundred PTAC offices across the country, including the territories of Guam and Puerto Rico, provide contracting assistance, funded through cooperative agreements between local host organizations and the U.S. Defense Logistics Agency (DLA). APTAC estimates that the return-on-investment is $344 for every federal dollar invested in the PTAC program.
Through the free or low-cost assistance provided by PTACs:
- 57,000 businesses were educated on how to do business with the government.
- Our country’s warfighters are supported – and the nation’s industrial base is boosted – by the influx of businesses seeking to compete for government contracts.
- Help is targeted toward small businesses, especially those owned by veteran, women and minority entrepreneurs as well as businesses located in economically depressed HUBZones.
PTACs also help government agencies and large businesses by:
- Supporting initiatives by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to make more veteran-owned firms “procurement ready.”
- Boosting vendor registrations in GSA’s System for Award Management (SAM).
- Teaching businesses how to meet stringent government standards and complex contract requirements.
- Showing vendors how to use DLA’s Internet Bid Board System (DIBBS), radio frequency identification (RFID) tagging and unique identification (UID) marking.
- Helping large government contractors identify qualified subcontractors and suppliers to address their small business subcontracting requirements.
Through these activities, PTACs increase qualified sources and competition, creating better value for the military, government agencies, and American taxpayers. At the same time, their work stimulates local economic activity as small firms learn how to successfully navigate federal, state and local government contracting processes.
For more information about APTAC and the national network of PTACs, visit www.aptac-us.org, where you can find information on the PTAC office nearest to you.
To see a fact sheet on APTAC, click on this link: PTAC Fact Sheet – May 2016.
Contact your nearest PTAC learn about government contracting.
For help with Government Contracting: contact your nearest Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC). Funded through Cooperative Agreements between the U.S. Department of Defense and state and local governments/institutions, PTACs provide free and low-cost assistance in virtually all areas of government contracting.