FedBizOpps may not be only Source of Contracting Opportunities

March 24, 2016

Public Notice of Contracting Actions

Source: FAR Consulting & Training, Richard D. Lieberman, March 13, 2016FedBizOpps.gov

The official public medium for providing notice of contracting actions by federal agencies is the FedBizOpps.gov website, which has been designated by statute and regulation as the government-wide point of entry (“GPE”). 15 U.S.C. § 637(e); 41 U.S.C. § 416; Federal Acquisition Regulation (“FAR”) §§ 2.101, 5.101(a)(1), 5.201(d).  The use of the FedbizzOpps website enables agencies to meet the notice requirement for full and open competition in the Competition in Contracting Act of 1984 by using a well-recognized and well-accepted website. Sometimes agencies will announce the contracting action in the GPE, but provide a link to a document, such as a solicitation, which is located in another website

Several agencies provide notices of contracting actions on other, publicly accessible websites, like the Department of Interior’s FedConnect.net, or the Department of Defense’s DefenseLink. mil.  In two separate protests, the Government Accountability Office addressed the FAR requirements for notice on Fedbizopps.gov, Phoenix Environmental Design, Inc.  B-412403, March 7, 2016, and WorldWide Lang. Resources, Inc; SOS Int’l.Ltd, , B-296993 et al, 2005 CPD ¶ 206.FedConnect

The FAR provides that for proposed contract actions expected to exceed a value of $15,000 but not expected to exceed $25,000, notice can be given by displaying the notice in a “public place or by any appropriate electronic means.”  FAR 5.101(a)(2).  For contract actions expected to exceed $25,000, the agency must use the only recognized government-wide point of entry—the GPE, or FedBizzOpps.gov website (located at www.fbo.gov).  FAR 2.101 and 5.101(a)(1).   READ MORE….

Only been searching FedBizOpps.gov for contracting opportunities? Contact your nearest PTAC to learn what other sources may be used by government agencies.


Keep up to date follow us on Twitter, LinkedIN or Facebook!

 For help with Government Contracting: contact your nearest Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC). Funded through Cooperative Agreements between the U.S. Department of Defense and state and local governments/institutions, PTACs provide free and low-cost assistance in virtually all areas of government contracting.